Wednesday 21 June 2023

Bishop Michael gives three reasons against relaxing Sunday trading


As I got older, I wish that the 1970 had more limited working hours, but I have a different view point in the 1980's, when I want longer shopping hours, but now I think we need to plan better? 

Then even Monday to Friday had more limited opening hours, then it started to open till 19:00 for bigger shops in some cities (may be longer in bigger cities), and big shops like Tesco and Asda opening 24 hours in the 1990's, but since on-line shopping, and Covid, this has gone back top more limited hours.

It a debate with many people views, 
I seem to remember Tesco used to say that they open they Tesco Extra Supermarkets 24 / 6 (Sunday open from 11:00 to 16:00), because they had the staff there, working overnight, so it cost the same, but then the cost seem to something to cut, as they , I think stop opening 24 hours now, just around 2019 I think off hand, from memory.
but done it around Covid I think? 

When I was in Tenerife in December 2019, I seen small shops open 24/ 7, even some take away , etc, if it works for them, then great.
It was still the same after Covid this year.

From the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, it was seen as shops opening longer hours, better for profits and customer, but now as Amazon and other online ways to shop, it had been a added cost, with less return?  

My own personal opinion on this, well I love Marks & Spencer, but I shop at Primark and Aldi?
I have used Amazon, and other online shop in the past, etc, the market is not our own , but hope millions or more use it, and knowing they needs and what they want, not just what we want. 

I do not even know what I want, but some people know what we want or need, before we do, and they can change the market, but giving us that, and we spend our money.



No comments: